Code of Ethics
Australian Labradoodle Club of America
Code of Ethics
ALCA Love and respect for the Australian Labradoodle and its careful development is inherent in the membership of the Australian Labradoodle Club of America. Therefore all members agree to foster the goals set forth in the Code of Ethics.
I will ensure that all dogs in my keeping will have all physical and emotional needs met.
This will include:
- Appropriate food, water, shelter (clean space and appropriate temperatures)
- Protection from bodily harm
- Human contact
- Appropriate stimulation
All dogs in my care will receive Veterinary care and I will maintain accurate records of all care.
All dogs will be supervised for safety to the best of my ability.
I will agree to an audit by an ALCA Board Member including home/kennel inspection should this ever be requested by the board.
I agree to test all dogs for genetic diseases relevant to the breed prior to breeding, and will clearly state what testing has been done.
I will not sell or trade with any commercial animal wholesalers or retail pet dealers, nor place any dogs in Animal Shelters, but will be committed to find a safe and secure home for all dogs and puppies that leave my facility.
I will spay/neuter all pups that are sold as companion family members.
I will tattoo and/or microchip any puppy sold for breeding prior to them leaving my care.
I will register all litters and breeding dogs with the ALCA before the pups are 16 weeks of age.
I will provide written details of dietary needs, training, grooming and veterinary care to all buyers as well as a copy to the ALCA.
I will provide ALCA a written copy of my contract and guarantee.
I will keep accurate breeding records, registration papers and pedigrees.
I will be available to buyers for whatever advice, reasonable aid or assistance they may need for the life of the dog. ALCA breeder members shall help and support their fellow members in fulfilling this obligation.
A member shall not defame another member nor seek to impair a members’ reputation, provided, however, a member shall report any serious situation this is detrimental to the breed or is inconsistent with the ALCA principles.
As a Breeder Member of the ALCA, I will breed toward the Breed Standard as set by the ALCA for the future development and protection of the Australian Labradoodle.
Code of Ethics……. ALAA Members Will……
May 2006 revised
ALAA Code of Ethics
In consideration of the ALAA electing me/us to its Accredited Breeders membership under the ALAA Sister Association group, and approval of that renewal, I pledge to the ALAA, that:
- I shall at all times ensure all dogs under my control are properly housed, fed, watered, exercised and receive Veterinary care when required.
- I have never had my membership revoked or suspended by a Canine Association or if so, have provided with this application the details relating to such an incident.
- I will refer to fellow breeders and their animals truthfully and respectfully at all times.
- I will register my kennel and dogs with State and Local Registry Boards, yearly, if applicable based on my conditions**
- I agree to a kennel inspection and audit if requested by my ALAA Sister Association Executive Officer or their regional representatives.
- I shall breed with the soundness of the Labradoodle or Australian Labradoodle in mind and agree to test all breeding stock for hip dysplasia before any of their entire (non spay/neutered) offspring leave my premises. I shall not breed with a dog diagnosed with hip dysplasia.*
- I will not sell or trade my dog/s to any commercial animal wholesalers or retail pet dealers/traders.
- I shall not sell or dispose of a puppy under the age of 8 weeks. I will wean, desex OR place under a spay/neuter contract non-breeding puppy/s, and vaccinate puppy/s between the age of 6-8 weeks, thus allowing the necessary 10 to 14 days for the vaccinations to take effect.
- I shall use a permanent form of identification, either tattoo or microchip, on all puppies I sell or trade.
- I shall DNA all breeding stock no later than 12 months of age. Selected DNA centers have been made available in each country under the IALA Sister Associations. If DNA has not been submitted to the selected DNA center but done elsewhere, and parentage is ever in question it is the responsibility of the breeder to submit further DNA samples to the selected IALA Sister Association DNA centers.
- I shall submit litter recordings to the appropriate IALA Sister Association for all litters bred by me no later than 12 weeks from the litters DOB. I shall ensure to the best of my ability that all persons acquiring dogs from me clearly understand their responsibility for the care and welfare of the animal, and have made the necessary preparations for the keeping of the dog. I shall help educate potential purchasers regarding responsible dog ownership and offer to take back any dog bred by me for re-homing if unwanted for any reason at any time by the purchaser, or help the owner to find a new home for the dog if not urgent.
- I shall provide to the purchasers written details of dietary, training and veterinary care and/or an appropriate publication.
- I shall not misrepresent the qualities of the Labradoodle or Australian Labradoodle including any guarantee of allergy friendliness and if any dog bred by me is sold on the understanding that it will not affect a person’s allergies and it does do so, then I will take back the dog and refund the purchaser’s purchase price, less my costs.
- I will breed the Labradoodle and Australian Labradoodle responsibly and keep proper records of my breeding stocks offspring, as much as possible, with any genetic defects I might be notified of noted in my records. If I am made aware that a mating that I have done has produced a puppy with a life inhibiting genetic defect I will rearrange my breeding program to reflect responsible breeding to avoid future mating with that breeding pair to each other.
- I shall supply all persons purchasing dog/s bred by me a copy of my guarantee and a copy to the appropriate IALA Sister Association, for no less that 2 years of age or more against any life inhibiting genetic defect with a puppy replacement, refund, and/or moral support provided. The IALA Sister Associations realize the extent of each breeders guarantee will be individually different, but we do require that all buyers know what your guarantee as an IALA Sister Association Breeder is before any booking/deposit/purchase has been made.
- I am aware that it is a criminal act to use the IALA or IALA Sister Association Banners if I am not accredited or if I am suspended or pending suspension.
- I shall follow all laws pertaining to the care and keeping of dogs in my state and county.
- I shall obtain confirmation when a dog or puppy is given as a gift or donation to families, that the recipient is willing to accept the dog and able to provide appropriate care.
- I shall not purposely breed from any bitch kept by causing it to be mated before it is twelve months of age or after six years of age.
- Any member suspended, voluntarily removing themselves or being requested to leave the IALA, or IALA Sister Associations must have 100% IALA Sister Association officer vote approval before reinstatement in addition to fulfilling all requirements for membership.
- I shall obtain written approval of my IALA Sister Association for any variation to this code of ethics specific to my program. Exemptions should be emailed to your IALA Sister Association Secretary and will be reviewed by your IALA Sister Association Quality Assurance Board.
- Ensure that at all times all dogs under my control are properly housed, fed, watered, exercised and receive proper veterinary attention, if and when required.
- Not allow any dogs under my care to roam at large and when away from home ensure they are kept fully leashed, or under effective control, at all times.
- Breed only for the purpose of providing dogs which truly reflect the hallmarks of the Labradoodle and Australian Labradoodle which are; soundness of mind/body and allergy-friendly and non shedding coats
- Not breed from any bitch kept by causing it to be mated before it is twelve months of age.
- Not sell or otherwise transfer any puppy under eight weeks of age.
- Ensure appropriate vaccines for age and location will be given prior to leaving the member’s premises taking into account the necessary number of days for the vaccine to take affect.
- Educate and provide written details to all persons acquiring dogs with written guidelines re their responsibility for the emotional well being and physical care of the dog.
- Provide to all those acquiring dogs from me written details of all dietary and immunization requirements appropriate for location and age.
- Not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, or directly or indirectly to allow a dog to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind.
- Obtain confirmation when a dog or puppy is given as a gift or donation to families with special needs, that the recipient is willing to accept the dog and able to provide appropriate care.
- Not knowingly misrepresent the coat-type, allergenic properties of the dog, nor falsely advertise, or mislead any person regarding the specific characteristics of any dog.
- Ensure when selling or transferring a dog to another person that documents as required by ILA Rules or Regulations will be provided to the purchaser or transferee.
Any member failing to observe any provisions of the Code of Ethics may be subject to ILA disciplinary action including, but not limited to, removal from the Register and disqualification from membership (without refund of monies paid).